Soooo….I’m a little late getting this post out into the world, but I love a good readathon and I love a chunky book, so Tome Topple is right up my street. Tome Topple, the readathon when bibliophiles like myself get all of our biggest books and attempt to read/weight lift these tomes together. It’s my third Tome Topple readathon, and last time (click here to view my posts from last time) I managed to read a couple of long books that I’d been meaning to for a while, but this time, well, it’s a bit more of a struggle. I don’t have that many unread tomes on my shelves, and even fewer that I want to imminently read, which is why I think I forgot to initially sign up!
But, hey ho, what is it? Well, Tome Topple is a two week readathon created by Sam aka Thoughts on Tomes and this time the readathon is taking place from midnight in your timezone on 17th November until 11:59pm on 30th November. The aim of this readathon is to read big books, aka books over 500 pages aka “tomes”, so unlike many readathon, it’s about the number of pages in a book rather than the quantity of books you manage to finish over the fortnight. Want more information? You can watch Sam’s announcement video or check out the readathon Twitter page and/or the Goodreads group.
And, to help us along, there are some challenges to tackle too! They are as follows:
- Read more than 1 tome – For the first time, I may really struggle with this challenge. I am reading a book for the work book club, and I am reading another memoir which is quite short, and I don’t want to drop either of those, so one seems like a decent number to accomplish, never mind more than 1. But, then, this is me, and I read quick, so who knows.
- Read a graphic novel (still over 500 pages) – I said this last time and I will say it again: I don’t know of any graphic novels over 500 pages never mind own one. I see buying one for the sake of completing a challenge both pointless and counter-intuitive, because I’m trying to read tomes on my existing TBR, so I won’t be doing this one. Sorry, not sorry.
- Read a tome that is part of a series – Erm, this probably depends what book I am in the mood to read and therefore what I end up getting through?! One or two books on my TBR are in a series, so it’s possible. We’ll have to see!
- Buddy read a tome – My friend and housemate Emma isn’t thinking of taking part this time, so I haven’t actually thought about the whole buddy reading thing. I will probably put a shout out on the tag on twitter to see if anyone else is reading The Chemist and wants a buddy! If you’re reading any of the books on my TBR, please comment on this post so we can do this challenge together.
- Read an adult novel – If I finish a book that isn’t by Stephanie Meyer, then I will complete this challenge. I don’t even know what her book is truly about, it may not be YA, but I’m assuming…
In addition, the host Sam has also put together a fun picture/Instagram themes challenge for each day of the readathon, for anyone and everyone to take part in too!
With these challenges in mind, I have scoured my shelves to find Tomes that I am keen on reading and want to finish, so, here goes:
- The Chemist Stephanie Meyer: I think this was an unread tome on my TBR last time round, so, I’ve re-added it as I have wanted to read it for quite a while and it would definitely be a good one to start me off.
- The Bourne Identity Robert Ludlum: I’ve only read one other Ludlum novel and loved it. I like thrillers and clever books, and I like a good story, so I think I could really sink my teeth into this one.
- The Bourne Supremacy/Ultimatum Robert Ludlum: Let’s be honest here. If I really get into the first one, I am likely to crack on with the series, but it’s a big if, so I’m sub categorising this on my TBR.
- Crisis Frank Gardner: This book has had a colourful history in this house. After my Mum started it, and then we lost it in the back of a taxi in a Miami port, it was repurchased by both myself and my Mum, and has then sat unread since. Well, my copy has, my Mum has read it. I know that there is a second book by him coming out so I would like to read this first one before that one comes out.
Well, there we go folks. Are you going to be taking part, and if so, what are you going to be reading for this readathon?